Sunday, October 30, 2016

Charlie Brooker is the force behind Black Mirror, and his notion...



Charlie Brooker is the force behind Black Mirror, and his notion of how we’ll look 30 years in the future seem prescient to me, especially the VR contact lenses:

John Robinson, Charlie Brooker: ‘The more horrible an idea, the funnier I find it’

I used to smoke and the first thing I did was reach for a cigarette. Now the first thing I do is that [reaches for iPhone]. In 30 years’ time there will be a drama series set in 2016. Characters will be on their phones and the viewers will look at it like we do with Mad Men and smoking: “Look at them! They’re all on their phones in meetings! Well, of course, they didn’t know about the thumb cancer those things give you…” Having said that, I remember life before smartphones, and it was fucking boring. The most exciting thing you could do was get a cover for your phone, or play Snake. I don’t think we’ll replace them until we get in-eye contact lenses that do the same thing; so we can stare at people while we’re ignoring them. We should try and make people more interesting than phones.

Yes I agree that we should make people more interesting than phones.



from Stowe Boyd http://www.stoweboyd.com/post/152509532457